Prior to 2002, Mines & Minerals Department was functioning in the Directorate of Industries & Mineral Development Department since 1964. The independent Department of Mines & Minerals was created in 2002 by the implementation of National Mineral Policy. It is to mention that National Mineral Policy 1995 acts as a guideline for formulating the present polices of the Provincial Department of Mines & Minerals.
Mines & Minerals Department is responsible for:
- Legislation, policy formulation and planning for:
- Grant, surveys, prospecting, exploration and development of mineral resources.
- Collection of rents, royalties and fees from the concessionaires.
- Rehabilitation of affected mining areas/sites, implementation, monitoring and control of environment standards, infrastructure development in mining areas.
- Collect, store and dissemination of mineral data, digitization of mineral/mining data.
- Mines and minerals development.
- Welfare of mine workers.
- Marketing of minerals
- Safety of mines, oil and gas fields and their workers.
- Training and skill development.
- Labour laws and rules for mine workers.
- Governmental functions of:–
- Punjab Mineral Development Corporation.
- Mines Labour Welfare Organization.
- Punjab Mineral Company.
- Budget, accounts and audit matters.
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the department.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services and General Administration Department.